Mr. Toffer became a partner with Finlayson Toffer Roosevelt & Lilly LLP (“FTRL”) in 2010. Prior to joining FTRL, Mr. Toffer worked at the international law firm of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP for over seven years.
Mr. Toffer has focused his practice on civil litigation and has handled a wide variety of matters of varying size and complexity. Mr. Toffer has represented entities and individuals in contract and tort disputes, real estate and lease disputes, unfair debt collection and credit reporting claims, telephone consumer protection act claims, employment-related disputes, consumer class actions, securities fraud class actions, investor disputes, partnership disputes, antitrust litigation and false advertising claims. Mr. Toffer prides himself on providing effective and efficient advocacy for his clients, understanding that each matter is unique and that achieving the client’s desired goals often requires implementing different strategies.
Mr. Toffer has significant courtroom experience and has represented clients in complex trials in both state and federal courts. Representative trials and arbitrations include:
- Mr. Toffer represented a corporate client in a five-day arbitration against Respondent entities that controlled the Mall of America, helping win a multi-million dollar termination fee, plus attorneys’ fees and costs for the client.
- Mr. Toffer represented a corporate client in a six-week trial in California state court involving false advertising and an antitrust conspiracy, resulting in a jury verdict of $46 million for the client.
- Mr. Toffer represented a large corporate client and individual executives in a complex, cutting-edge securities fraud class action lawsuit that resulted in a lengthy trial in the United States District Court for the District of Arizona.
- Mr. Toffer represented individual and corporate clients in a four-day arbitration involving a partnership dispute, which resulted in an arbitration award of nearly $1 million dollars for his clients, including a significant award of attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Mr. Toffer has successfully represented lenders in several arbitration proceedings.
- Mr. Toffer has represented an individual and entity client in a complex partnership dispute involving real estate, which resulted in several phased bench trials before the Orange County Superior Court.
- Mr. Toffer spent two months in the Trial Attorney Partnership program with the Orange County District Attorney’s Office where he successfully prosecuted two trials and argued numerous preliminary hearings and other evidentiary matters.
Other significant representative matters include:
- Represented the defendant in a case concerning the application of Arizona’s revocation-on-divorce statute, which resulted in a published opinion out of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals favorable to the client.
- Represented different plaintiffs in various employment-related cases, achieving favorable outcomes.
- Represented defendants and cross-complainants in litigation alleging breach of contract, negligence and negligent misrepresentation surrounding the construction of the Anaheim GardenWalk.
- Represented the defendant in a consumer class action alleging misrepresentations concerning the ability of motor homes to safely tow vehicles.
- Represented the defendant in consumer class action regarding disclosures for mail-in rebates.
- Represented the defendant in a consumer class action regarding disclosures of upgrade fees.
- Represented the defendant in a complex False Claims Act case.
- Represented the plaintiff and cross-defendant in a complex false advertising/Lanham Act case.
Mr. Toffer earned his law degree in 2002 from the University of California, Davis School of Law, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif and Articles Editor of the U.C. Davis Law Review. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in 1999 from Miami University, where he majored in Accounting and Finance.
Memberships & Affiliations
Mr. Toffer is a member of the California bar and has been admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Central Districts of California and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Mr. Toffer was named a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers® in 2012.
Mr. Toffer currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Orange County Bar Foundation and is actively involved in coaching youth sports in his community.